Monday, November 30, 2009

Lazy Blogging (pt...)

A day late but I'm really really ill. I mean I can still see and walk around a lot but I'm ill, I tell you. Ill. Sputum and germs. Stay away.

Anyway, the other day friend Vicus wrote of his admiration for a rugby footballer. The other day Dave did a bit on Graham Hill. Were I still to be sticking posters on my wall I dare say there would be a prominent one of this gentleman. And he is a gentleman: one club for 18 years; 819 appearances, 151 goals; the only player to have played and scored in every season of the Premier League since its inception; the most decorated footballer the English game has produced. But he's Welsh. OK, so you can't win 'em all. On Saturday he scored his 100th Premier League goal. He earns £4 million a year - overpaid primadonna? You want to me to sneeze on you? He EARNS it, he's an entertainer, not a banker. Does football matter? I don't know but it's a difficult case to argue against when you see it being done exceedingly well. Yesterday he was 36 years old and he's still more of a genius with a football than most players will ever be. Happy belated birthday, Ryan Giggs.

5 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Well written, that boy.

11:13 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

It is difficult to imagine that my daughter was born in his debut year and he will still be playing, for the same club, when she gets to vote in her first general election next year.

12:12 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

Shame he is not English. I'm sure he would have easily passed 100 caps.

9:06 pm  
Blogger Zed said...

Being Welsh must be like being Belgian, only without all the glory and shit loads more rain.

7:45 am  
Anonymous Lord Andrew of Goulding said...

@Zed

or the chocolates.

9:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home