Thursday, June 11, 2009

Annual lecture

Today is six years without a cigarette day. I never thought I would but I have. There have been plenty of excuses along the way that I could have used to start again but my resolve has never wavered. Surprising because with most other things I'm disgustingly weak-willed. I still don't see myself as a non-smoker because I still "like" it inasmuch as I never found the habit overtly disgusting (although there are occasions when people sit down next to you in a pub or restaurant who stink of the things when it comes pretty close and filthy curtains and ceilings are pretty awful). I would feel I've let myself down badly if I started again though. I'm not really sure what the key is but if you want to give up, you can.

I can't even say I remember having cravings as such - like any vested interest, the manufacturers of patches and other "aids" make it out to be far worse than it is. They're in business, it's in their interest that you take as long to give up as possible. They have shareholders who demand a dividend and it's even better if you relapse. Don't listen to the people who say it's hard, they really didn't want to give up and made it difficult for themselves. If you're weak-willed you'll side with them and believe them. Listen to the ones who didn't have a problem - there are loads of us out there. If you really really want to give up, you'll be reassured. I really didn't want to smoke anymore. I value increased taste and smell and being able to breathe easier. I don't suffer Reynaud's any longer - the tips of my fingers don't freeze - as my circulation is much better. I can travel for more than an hour without having to plan a cigarette break and I'm a safer driver. I'm not spending over a fiver a day on killing myself. It's the only hobby you can take up that from the moment you start, you're actively shortening your life. Don't listen to the idiots who say Auntie Edie lived to 98 on 40 Senior Service a day, remember the hordes of her contemporaries who never made it past 60 and who looked 60 when they were 40. That was a lonely 38 years with no friends.

Do it.

9 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Rog said...

Hurrah! I smoked my last 30 a day in 1993. Can't imagine what that would cost now. Good old Allen Carr I say.

I did start eating a lot of bread but soon found that was shortening my loaf.

1:23 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

You were shortening the loaf, Rog.

2:45 pm  
Blogger The Birdwatcher said...

Well done Richard. I gave up 24 years ago and having recently caught my daughter smoking in the house heard myself sounding like my old man.

12:09 pm  
Blogger Space Hopper said...

Good work, Richard - it's been 9 years and 1 stone for me. Which still seems a fair trade.

8:27 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Considerably more than 1 stone unfortunately although I put that down to living on my own and being terrible at cooking for one, a fondness for crisps and Bombay Mix that manifests itself in the occasional binge and having crap joints rather than not smoking.

10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh geeeeeze. I know that you are right.

3:51 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

'Crap Joints'!
Are you 'down to stems and seeds again'?

Joking apart, well done Mate. I quit 4 years ago after 40 years smoking. I've only lapsed once for a short time while my eldest was home from uni (hopefully I've persuaded him to quit too). I had a very persistant lung infection last year which has left damage on the existing smoking damage and I get distressingly breathless at times, especially in the mornings.

BE WARNED - GIVE IT UP NOW if you haven't already. When you do you will realise just how much you stink when you smoke.

Rant over!!

6:47 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry I am not defending smoking but my Mum died a smoker at 83, albeit of lung cancer and actually it was her non smoking friends who went before her, probably an exception to the rule. Smoking is certainly not a healthy habit but a lot is dependant on your genes. Did you see recently that smokers were names and shamed about the £5 billion they cost the NHS maybe the non smokers should be asking the government what has happened to the other 5 billion because according to the government website the income purely from tobacco sales is 10 billion a year and rising. You didn't get an cravings? mmmm I am sure you do.

1:44 pm  
Blogger Sharon J said...

Here's one who definitely doesn't find it easy even though I know a lot of my health problems are smoking related. I've tried every method I can think of, apart from patches, including just going cold turkey but here I am, still puffing away. Unfortunately it's a fact of life that some people find certain things more difficult than others but I will say that the fact that LM and Charlene have both quit, Sam's cut right back and Mark's given up the booze is making me feel rather ashamed of myself.

10:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home