Sunday, February 24, 2008

Please Read.


I've not done this before but I'm on the knock: I want someone helped out. I've just been reading the blog of somebody by the name of Andy Ward. A while back Andy was diagnosed with chronic leukaemia. He's only 41 and that's criminally young for such stuff, especially when he seems like such a decent chap. Nobody likes to wish pain and suffering on anyone but I can think of some far more deserving candidates for it than a young family man with half his life in front of him.

Andy has decided to raise money for Leukaemia research and a couple of other associated charities and in September, along with a couple of friends, will be driving his beloved 21 year-old VW Scirocco to Morocco and back in under a fortnight. OK, it doesn't seem like much but it's a bit of a trek for a near vintage motor, 3 up and towing a trailer. France and Spain should be OK but it could all fall apart in Morocco because they drive like mentals. I haven't a clue how far he intends to go once he gets there but going by the few taxi rides we had in Marrakech last year he'll need a good lay down once he's finished. If the Scirocco survives unscathed it'll be a miracle: the last VW I saw there had just had its bumper ripped off by the horse taxi we were in. (Andy, I hope you're not being put off).

Leukaemia Research is one of the few charities I'll always give something to. One of my grandmas had it and I've known a few people over the years who've lost relatives to it. It can be beaten with luck and a decent following wind but as ever, only with continued research and buckets of money. If you're unable to help financially - and as is usual there is no obligation - it would be nice to spread the word through a little bit of viral linkage to those who can. Andy bemoans the fact that he's not had many comments on the blog yet so it would be nice to see that change as well.

His blog is here:

Scirocco 2 Morocco

Do have a look.

That is all.

1 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Sharon J said...

A friend of mine contracted leukemia at just 17. Luckily he's still around and in his 30s.

I certainly wouldn't want to be this Andy geezer, driving in Morroco. Just crossing the road was more than enough for me. Remember almost being bowled down by a donkey and cart? Those donkeys sure can move! I'm sure he'll have lots of fun and adventure along the way though and that's what life's really about :)

12:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home