Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Vegan TV

I am currently installed in what we call the extension, a largish ground floor room stuck on the end of the house. It's been a guest room for the best part of 30 years but it's big enough for me to stay in without annoying my parents. I don't want for much, I have a bed, my laptop, a DAB radio (currently blasting out "The Organist Entertains" on Radio 2. I am nothing if not catholic in my musical tastes) my guitars and lots of bits of paper with red writing on which I occasionally shred. There is also an aerial socket. It is not connected to an aerial because the aerial at this end of the house blew down. No BShiteB here - you have to pay. But I can sympathise with my Dad's reluctance to part with his hard-earned on that score as all the best stuff's on Freeview anyway. Wouldn't have mattered, I didn't have a telly.

Until last week, that is, when my little sister bought some vast piece of Japanese electric wallpaper and left her old one here. It's an old Sony Trinitron but it still works fine. So I went out on New Year's Day and bought a cheap Freeview box and an internal aerial. Didn't work. We're in a shady bit signal wise and that's not helped by having a large wood opposite either. Still, we eventually fixed something up with an old aerial and I got some limited telly in. Mainly ITV, Sky 3 and Dave. Hardly any BBC except BBC4 and Parliament. What is it with that station? However shite your reception is, you can always get BBC Parliament in. In Crewe, the previous incumbents had pointed their aerial towards Sutton Coldfield, 70 miles away instead of Manchester, 30 miles away in the opposite direction. When I attached a Freeview box all I could get in was bloody BBC Parliament. Tonight, it was like watching an extended Norman Collier sketch. You kn.. Th. ne wher. .e ....tends the micr....ne isn'. wor..ng. F..k. I wante. t. wa.ch Tag..rt. I think the wind might be the cause. And maybe this.











8 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

I can see that you have also been tuning in to all of the home improvement channels.

7:19 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Here on the isolated North Norfolk coast, my freeview box doesn't work at all. My DAB radio picks up North Norfolk Radio, and nothing else.

I have high hopes for Derbyshire.

9:38 am  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

No Sky? How do you manage to go on without the monster combine harvester racing on Sky Sports 12 Extra (Only £45-a-month when linked in with the Disney Channel)?

9:40 am  
Blogger Rol said...

The Organist Entertains is the most bizarre radio programme I've ever heard. I'm convinced it's transmitted from another dimension where wurlitzers were bigger than the Beatles.

12:57 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Rol, Wurlitzers WERE bigger than the Beatles at one time. To a degree I'll listen to anything and everything, me.

9:42 pm  
Blogger Rol said...

That's a healthy attitude.

And I'd rather listen to Wurlitzers than Yellow Submarine one more time.

12:07 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

Richard, get on the phone and get your ariel put on your chimney like everyone else does. First gust of wind and you won't even get BBC parliament with that set up.

5:39 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Ah, Tom. Trouble is, the aerial was originally on the chimney but the chimney is in a bit of a state and needs rebuilding. Extra load will probably be fatal, hence the temporary arrangement. The watchword there being temporary.

8:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home