Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Hiatus

I'm going to be taking a short break from blogging. This may not be much of a revelation, I'm hardly prolific as it is but I've got some stuff to sort out and, as any fule kno, stuff is important. This stuff is extremely important as parts of my life are in a complete and utter mess, my attention is needed elsewhere and I am in danger of being a total arse. Besides, I'm hardly ever in the correct mood for sensible (or nonsensible) postage at the moment.

Loyal readers may remember that when I first started this blog a little over two years ago (congratulations to Jed for being the longest non-obvious commenter) I was having a few lifestyle problems. Depression, I think they call it. Suffice to say that I can sense the black dog padding around outside the door whining to come in. I'm not going to stuff my neck with prozac and cross my fingers but it has got to a point that most people who have been through similar will recognise. You know you have to do something decisive but you can't think of one single positive outcome from your actions whatsoever. Every consequence seems disastrous and with that, fear gradually creeps in. Sleep becomes difficult; your heart thumps fearfully hard and you wake up in cold sweats if you do eventually get to sleep. Trepidation and doubt cloud everything, even the trivial and those things I usually enjoy doing like picking up the phone and I know full well it shouldn't, especially when in certain respects, I also know full well that there have been a lot of positives to build on over the last few months. In more ways than one, I'm in a place, both metaphorically and physically, where I really don't want to be. I'm hoping that writing this short piece will in some way prove mildly cathartic and kickstart me into making some kind of choice from which I can take something positive.

I'll stick my head in on the usual suspects but don't expect anything here for a bit.

Laters.

16 Vegetable peelings:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will certainly look forward to your return. Now take care of your business!

4:51 am  
Blogger Phil said...

Pity - you've cheered up many of my dark mornings. I think I understand - I have certainly been where you describe. Fortunately I'm a lot better now but I know that, as with alcoholism, you're never totally cured.
Good luck mate - call me if you need to talk.....

6:48 am  
Blogger Dave said...

I've been in that place, and sense that dog is outside somewhere, whining. So don't worry about having more important things to do than entertain me.

I shall play my Kate Rusby CDs (found thanks to your blog) and remember you - and keep popping back here, ready for when you feel like writing something again.

7:58 am  
Blogger Rol said...

Good luck with it. Here's hoping you come back brighter.

12:35 pm  
Blogger happyhippychick said...

Big hugs to you

I get a swampy black hole that hovers around me at times so I have an idea of the feeling of your black dog

Looking forward to seeing you back once you're sorted... I may not comment much but I do read and enjoy!

Rx

12:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for you.

12:52 pm  
Blogger Rog said...

Don't worry, it's only me. A real one of me may be able to assist of course.

2:05 pm  
Blogger Zig said...

good luck

7:52 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Many thanks for all the kind words. (And unusually high visitor numbers. How does that work?)

10:46 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

And big hugs to you from me too.
That should keep the bugger away for another couple of weeks.

7:10 am  
Blogger tom909 said...

Hi Richard, just passing by and see this. Take care dear friend.

3:17 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sweet Richard, I hope you're feeling better. Know that you're not alone.

4:57 am  
Blogger spentrails said...

Reference to the black dog brings with it a burst of recognition from your readers.

Methinks bloggers have a certain degree of introspection in common. Take care and enjoy the fresh air.

9:36 am  
Blogger zoe said...

richard, you aren't alone, as pamela says. that big black dog has made it into the blasted house.

i still try to laugh though, even when the going gets tough. good luck and email me whenever.

xxx

10:44 am  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I read this the other day and was surprised to see you out browsing. I assume you are taking some quality time out to do some searching. There must be some good out here somewhere and if anyone can find it you will.

4:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope things level out...

5:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home