Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Car. Ma. Bad.

It's all going dreadfully wrong. On Saturday I shall be filling my four stainless steel flasks with mulligatawny soup and a cool bag with Morrison's mini pork pies (the ones with Branston in) and retiring to the hole underneath the shed for a week. They can't get me there.

Sharon is suffering computer woe. It's been going on for too long now and I think the dog knows. Every time Sharon appears, the dog starts shaking and hides behind my legs. This usually only happens when she picks up on the occasional bi-fortnightly hormonal imbalance that triggers the flying vacuum cleaners and that. It's a good job she can't read my aura then, she'd go mental (that's a family in-joke, the dog is already certifiable). Regular readers of Sharon's many blogs will be pleased to hear she is still alive.

Last week I was visiting the Yahoo group of popular 70s burlesque rockers, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Long-term readers will already be aware that I am a minor devotee of the ensemble and like to keep in touch. A fellow subscriber had posted a link to pictures he had taken of a recent performance and one of these happened to be quite marvellous. So much so that I downloaded it to use as my desktop. That's when it all started.

My laptop crashed immediately. When I restarted it, it went into a two and a half hour checkdisk routine. When that finished I restarted (again) and I received error messages saying Windows Explorer needs to close. Then more errors. I can circumvent these by dragging the dialogue boxes to the side of the screen but it's not right. I tried a system restore. Doesn't work because without Windows Explorer, it can't complete the cycle. I even left it running all night just in case. Shutting the computer down manually destroys the restore. Stymied. Yesterday all my favourites disappeared out of Firefox. My computer can't put itself to sleep anymore. It's poorly.

On Friday we drove down to Kent to see my parents and to pick up Sharon's son who has been staying with his grandparents for a while. I tanked up in Crewe. On the way back we stopped at Cambridge services and I went to use the cash machine only to find I had left my card in Tescos in Crewe three days earlier. I phoned First Direct on my mobile, 5 to 7 working days before I can get a new card. I had £2.64 in my pocket. We are driving to Weymouth on Saturday for a week away so this is bad. It's even badder now.

They say it all happens in threes. This evening Sharon returned from shopping announcing that the rear nearside passenger window on the car is jammed. Open. Obviously this isn't a state of affairs that can be left until we return from holiday so tomorrow morning I am going to have to bully the local Renault dealership to get it fixed by Friday. Thankfully it's a Motability car so they *crosses fingers* are obliged to provide a replacement. Whether the replacement is going to be able to ferry five adults and their luggage on a 500 mile round trip or not is a moot point.

I'm scared to leave the house. What did I do?

10 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

Richard you are going to have to go into the morrow without worry of the third of three. I have seen this cycle many times and I can never escape. At least you may have a spurt of good luck for the trip.

Enjoy your mini pork pies (I am going to look these up).

I hope Sharon can get her machine back on and try some safe mode work on your machine press F8 during boot up after the bios screen.

Godspeed my friend.

2:22 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Pressing buttons scares me Jed. I'll have a go.

7:55 am  
Blogger The Aunt said...

Ah. This is obviously the pre-tsunami draw of luck away from you, before the huge wave of fabulous luck crashes upon you.

At least that's how I like to view it.

12:03 pm  
Blogger The Aunt said...

P.S. Weymouth? Are you SURE?

12:03 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Yes. Scary's on holiday and besides, I actually quite like it. As long as one makes no attempt to travel to Bournemouth and goes west instead, the roads remain quite clear. Our holiday to Foreign got aborted earlier this year because of a medical thing. Next best thing!

12:26 pm  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

I agree with Aunty M. Something great is about to happen to you!

4:01 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll cross my fingers that somethng good is in your near future Richard.

It couldn't get worse, could it? ::slaps hand over mouth:: Sorry. That just jinxed you for sure.

12:48 am  
Blogger Betty said...

You may have had your first bit of good luck this week - not having to travel abroad on a plane this weekend. Best stick to Weymouth, eh?

9:04 am  
Blogger Richard said...

I've got a beard, too. I would have been shot on sight or my accompanying passenger would have been forced to taste me to ensure my non-toxicity (parents are being asked to sample any baby milk they take on board)

10:09 am  
Blogger Sharon J said...

You'd let me lick you at the airport? How kinky is that??

Have you noticed that I'm actually commenting? Still can't post, though :(

f8? Nope. Doesn't work. I've pressed and pressed and not a thing happens.

11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home