Friday, June 02, 2006

An Apology.

My good friend Mr Scurra has been having problems with things this man has made. I do believe that this is not an uncommon phenomenon. This prompted me to have a look at my own pages on this site via the peculiar cracked window that is Internet Explorer.

To all of you good people who have not had the good sense to ditch Internet Explorer in favour of something that works well and doesn't flood your screen with unintelligible rubbish every time you start your PC up, I send a hearty apology. The Food Of Goats as rendered in IE is quite frankly, a bucket of fertiliser


I apologise for all those times I have mentioned my sidebar being over to the right, there --->. In IE it's down there, to the south-east, somewhere near Tonbridge. It also looks largely like the letters bag in Scrabble. I honestly didn't know. Tough though because there isn't much I can do about it

I realise that to my devoted readers this won't matter because it's the lush content they're after. However, I'm guilty of wanting to be a bit of a dumb blonde as far as looks go so I picked a template that appeared halfway decent and have tried to dress it up nicely to pull the punters in, rather akin to getting the female half of the relationship to stop traffic when you've run out of petrol on the A40 Witney by-pass while you hide behind a bush (yes, I know it's a bit Benny Hill but it worked). In IE it looks as though there's already been an accident.

Most of these pages are in Blogger. Blogger are owned by Google and they espouse open source stuff wholeheartedly. Mozilla Firefox is open source, meaning it's been designed by its users for its users. You don't have to use the stuff that comes with the PC. Not everything Microsoft sell is rubbish but IE is. I will be installing a link to Firefox shortly er...over there ---> somewhere. Or down there underneath. I suggest you go and investigate.

Other news:
My Dad had an operation on his hand yesterday and will be leaving hospital this afternoon. Thank you for all the kind comments and best wishes sent by other means.

15 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Yes, add my good wishes to those already passed on to your father. I am sure he is wondering why I have not expressed these sentiments already.
I would invite him to my house, but we've just had a new kitchen.
I'm sure he'll understand.

12:12 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

He's OK in kitchens as long as he's kept away from firearms

12:21 pm  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Very good - he will retain full usage of it, I hope.

Still, it impresses me that he chose Webley over Enfield - a REAL revolver!

2:11 pm  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

Hope your father heals quickly.

3:18 pm  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Golly. I've got Firefox. It was dead easy too. And now this site and Lin's and Geoff's come up in their appointed place, and I'll even be able to read Vicus's lists next time he does one. Ta. You learn summat new every day.

Best wishes to your Dad. Though you might mention that he's a daft plonker as well...

4:30 pm  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

I'm a bit worried about my own site now. What font does it come up in?

4:55 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Don't know Mark, but it looks the same in both so you're OK.

5:13 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

That was a non sequitur, Richard

9:31 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

It would appear to be, yes. But only a very low grade one, very weak and inconsequential. I think he knows what I meant. If I'd said "but it looks the same in both so you'll be fine in the Isle of Wight" it would be both a logical absurdity and a toy poodle.

11:09 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have a sidebar?

3:25 am  
Blogger Geoff said...

So it's IE to blame and not me? I'm scared of using anything else as I have an inverse Midas touch with computers. And I'm not sure Wanadoo/Orange allow Firefox.

Glad your dad's on the mend.

10:33 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Yes, Geoff. Things mostly look fine in Firefox. I'm very wary of change too but I did some horn grasping and went for it. At least that annoying "shutter click" noise that IE uses (to presumably imitate computers on films that always sound like telex machines) isn't around. There is a definite attitudinal problem amongst the designers who submit the templates to blooger. I think they have made them deliberately illegible in IE just to prove a point. Trouble is, they've not made a big nosie about it so everyone just thinks they're crap designers.

11:18 am  
Blogger Richard said...

A big nosie?

Dad had his hand "pulled together" in the end without the need for a skin graft. He's doing fine.

11:19 am  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Glad to here you're dad is recovering, we none of us like worrying about our parents, or being reminded of their vulnerabilities.

Firefox is good news, I use it on my Mac instead of Safari, which doesn't come with a toolbar (doh!). One problem I did have was that it speant 2 months refusing to acknowledge my blog had had anything added to it, so I'd have to use Safari just to inspect it. That may have been a blogger.com thing, I'm not sure.

2:30 pm  
Blogger krusty the baker said...

Golly, just noticed my appalling spelling / typing last night. Stay away from strong liquor is the moral of this tail...

8:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home